Multi-post rig testing is a vital element in Multimatic’s vehicle development process.
Developed in-house, Multimatic multi-post rigs are specifically designed for vehicle dynamics testing and development, using proprietary hardware, control systems and analytical software.
Test measurements assess:
- Modal ‘rigid body’ natural frequencies and damping ratios
- Modal response coupling
- Contact patch load variations
- Vehicle flexibility and damper non-linearity effects
- Suspension motion ratios
- Suspension friction levels
- Suspension installation stiffness
- Estimated tire dynamic stiffness
- Relative vehicle ride and handling performance for different suspension setups
Multimatic measures and documents the full range of vehicle dynamics parameters to create a comprehensive suspension performance baseline. This provides an ideal starting point for ongoing road or track optimization.
Multimatic’s Vehicle Dynamics department boasts one of the most influential ‘vertical’ vehicle dynamicists:
- With over 30 years’ experience in measurement, analysis and control systems, Dave Williams installed and supported the first digital measurement system on a race vehicle and played a lead role in the development of the Lotus Active Suspension System (the first to support a Grand Prix win). He was also the lead designer of the multi-post rigs installed at Multimatic’s Technical Centres in Canada (MTC) and the U.K. (MTCe).